Re: [HACKERS] get_relation_stats_hook() - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [HACKERS] get_relation_stats_hook()
Date
List pgsql-patches
> New version of Postgres patch, v5. Implements suggested changes.
> Ready for review and apply.

Applied with some revisions.  The method for passing back freefunc
didn't work, so I made it pass the whole VariableStatsData struct
instead; this might allow some additional flexibility by changing other
fields besides the intended statsTuple and freefunc.  Also, I was still
unhappy about adding a hook in the midst of code that clearly needs
improvement, without making it possible for the hook to override the
adjacent broken code paths; so I refactored the API a bit for that too.

The plugin function would now be something like this:

static bool
plugin_get_relation_stats(PlannerInfo *root,
                          RangeTblEntry *rte,
                          AttrNumber attnum,
                          VariableStatData *vardata)
{
    HeapTuple    statstup = NULL;

    /* For now, we only cover the simple-relation case */
    if (rte->rtekind != RTE_RELATION || rte->inh)
        return false;

    if (!get_tom_stats_tupletable(rte->relid, attnum))
        return false;

    /*
     * Get stats if present. We asked for only one row, so no need for loops.
     */
    if (SPI_processed > 0)
        statstup = SPI_copytuple(SPI_tuptable->vals[0]);

    SPI_freetuptable(SPI_tuptable);
    SPI_finish();

    if (!statstup)
        return false;            /* should this happen? */

    vardata->statsTuple = statstup;
    /* define function to use when time to free the tuple */
    vardata->freefunc = heap_freetuple;

    return true;
}

and if you want to insert stats for expression indexes then there's a
separate get_index_stats_hook for that.

            regards, tom lane