Re: BUG #17155: Casting to type date - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: BUG #17155: Casting to type date
Date
List pgsql-bugs
> In the previous version 12.6, the date cast is handled without errors, but
> in version 12.8 this generates an error
> SELECT '20.08.2021'::date

Nothing has changed in that area in quite some time.  I don't
have a 12.6 installation immediately at hand, but I did find 12.2
laying about on my laptop, and it behaves the same way as 12.8:

$ psql postgres
psql (12.2)
Type "help" for help.

postgres=# SELECT '20.08.2021'::date;
ERROR:  date/time field value out of range: "20.08.2021"
LINE 1: SELECT '20.08.2021'::date;
               ^
HINT:  Perhaps you need a different "datestyle" setting.

The HINT's recommendation is accurate:

postgres=# set datestyle = dmy;
SET
postgres=# SELECT '20.08.2021'::date;
    date
 2021-08-20
(1 row)

So I suspect you forgot to transfer your datestyle setting to the
new installation.

            regards, tom lane