Re: Vacuum I/O throttling - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Vacuum I/O throttling
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Guy Thornley <guy@esphion.com> writes:
> What sort of performance numbers are you looking for? Without the throttle,
> I/O is nuked and other database activity takes an age, and with it, its much
> happier?

Some people say that VACUUM nukes their performance, and some don't
find it to be a problem.  AFAICT, it's only an issue if you have little
reserve disk bandwidth, which in itself is a dangerous situation for a
database that you don't want to pay attention to.

I don't want to sound like I'm rejecting your patch out of hand.  What
I do want is to get some idea of its range of usefulness.

> We are beginning to learn that "DBMS" and "unattended" dont belong in the
> same sentence.

"Unattended" and "running on the edge of your resources" don't play nice
together, for sure.

            regards, tom lane