Re: 64-bit CommandIds - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: 64-bit CommandIds
Date
List pgsql-patches
> So, is this an option we want for configure?

I think the case for it got a whole lot weaker in 8.3, with lazy
consumption of CIDs.  If someone had tables big enough to make the
32-bit-CID limit still be a problem despite that fix, I'd think they'd
not be very happy about adding another 4 bytes of tuple header overhead
(or more likely 8 bytes, on the kind of machine where this patch would
make some sense).  I don't foresee many people paying that cost rather
than breaking up their transactions.

My feeling is we should avoid the extra complexity, at least till such
time as we see whether there are still any real field complaints about
this with 8.3.

In any case the patch is broken by --enable-float8-byval, and would
need some adjustments to play nice with that.

            regards, tom lane