Re: BUG #6624: Tab completion of identifier containing single backslash triggers warnings - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: BUG #6624: Tab completion of identifier containing single backslash triggers warnings
Date
List pgsql-bugs
> On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 6:29 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> The only way we could suppress such warnings would be if we made
>> tab-complete.c use E'' strings for literals containing name prefixes;
>> which is perhaps doable but it would mean having tab-complete.c roll
>> its own string escaping rather than use any facility now available
>> from libpq.

> PQescapeLiteral will do the job, no?  At least in 9.0+.

Hmm ... it would, but then psql would fail entirely when talking to
pre-8.1 servers, so we'd need to check the server version to decide
which quoting method to use.  Do you think this is important enough to
add yet more version-specific tests to that code?

            regards, tom lane