Re: pg_dump and 2gb limit on windows and version 8.1.3 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: pg_dump and 2gb limit on windows and version 8.1.3
Date
List pgsql-general
> I think you should upgrade to 8.1.17 which likely contains the fix as
> well.

If you are thinking of this fix:

    * src/bin/pg_dump/: pg_backup_archiver.c, pg_backup_archiver.h,
    pg_backup_custom.c, pg_backup_files.c, pg_backup_tar.c, pg_dump.h
    (REL8_2_STABLE), pg_backup_archiver.c, pg_backup_archiver.h,
    pg_backup_custom.c, pg_backup_files.c, pg_backup_tar.c, pg_dump.h:
    Fix pg_dump on win32 to properly dump files larger than 2Gb when
    using binary dump formats.

it doesn't appear to have been back-patched into 8.1.  However the log
message suggests a workaround: use plain-text output format.

In any case, continuing to depend on an 8.1.x server on Windows
(especially one as old as 8.1.3) is just plain stupid.  We dropped
support for that release series for very good reasons.  The OP needs
to get off that version --- just accepting someone's diktat that it
"can't be upgraded" is irresponsible, unless the data it contains is
of no value (which I doubt or we wouldn't be fielding this question).

            regards, tom lane