Re: initdb / bootstrap design - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: initdb / bootstrap design
Date
Re: initdb / bootstrap design  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Re: initdb / bootstrap design  (Peter Eisentraut <peter.eisentraut@enterprisedb.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
> A quick way to prototype the moving the handlign to the backend would be to
> just call postgres with input redirection from postgres.bki...

Hmm.  I was thinking of inventing an include-file command in the
BKI language, and making initdb just send an INCLUDE command.
That's arguably overkill for the immediate need, but it looks like it
requires just a few lines of code (flex provides pretty much all of the
infrastructure already), and maybe we'd find another use for it later.

However, redirection does sound like a very easy answer ...

> Hm, wouldn't it be less code to just use printf?

Meh --- it'd be different from the way we do it in the rest
of initdb, and it would not be "less code".  Maybe it'd run
a shade faster, but I refuse to believe that that'd be
enough to matter.