Re: CLUSTER versus broken HOT chains - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: CLUSTER versus broken HOT chains
Date
List pgsql-hackers
I wrote:
> I believe I've worked out what's going on in bug #5985.
> So this leads me to a few thoughts:

> 1. Now that we have the seqscan-and-sort code path, it'd be possible to
> support CLUSTER on a not-indisvalid index, at least when it's a btree
> index.  We just have to force it into the seqscan-and-sort code path.

> 2. We could deal with a not-usable-because-of-indcheckxmin-horizon
> index by forcing an indexscan, which is alleged to be safe by the
> above comment, or (if it's btree) by forcing a seqscan-and-sort.
> The problem is that we won't know which way is cheaper.  I suspect
> however that the seqscan way is usually cheaper and we wouldn't lose
> much by forcing that whenever we can.

> 3. Or we could kluge up the planner so it doesn't ignore "unusable"
> indexes when invoked for this purpose.  That seems fairly messy though.

On closer inspection I notice that there's a related failure mode in
this code: if you have IgnoreSystemIndexes turned on, and you try to
CLUSTER any system catalog, you'll get exactly the same type of failure
because plancat.c will not generate an IndexOptInfo for the target

This leads me to think that the problem is not at either end but in the
middle: plan_cluster_use_sort's error handling is a few bricks shy of a
load.  Specifically, rather than supposing that not finding the index in
the IndexOptInfo list is an error, it should suppose that that's an
expected condition indicating that it's unwise to use the index.  So it
should just return "true" as a recommendation to do seqscan-and-sort
instead.

I'm not going to bother with point #1 above, as it seems like a
feature addition not a bug fix, and a feature of little real use at
that.  The actual bug can be cured pretty easily just by adjusting
plan_cluster_use_sort to understand about this case.