Re: OK, that's one LOCALE bug report too many... - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: OK, that's one LOCALE bug report too many...
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Lamar Owen <lamar.owen@wgcr.org> writes:
> I am not at all happy about the 'broken' RedHat locale -- the quick and
> dirty solution is to remove or rename '/etc/sysconfig/i18n' -- but that
> doesn't cure the root issue.

Actually, that suggestion points out that just nailing down LC_COLLATE
at initdb time isn't sufficient, at least not on systems where libc's
locale behavior depends on user-alterable external files.  Even with
my proposed initdb change in place, a user could still corrupt his
indices by removing or replacing /etc/sysconfig/i18n.  Ugh.  Not sure
I see a way around this, though, short of dumping libc and bringing
along our own locale support.

Of course, we might end up doing that anyway to support column-specific
locales.  I suspect setlocale() is far too slow on many implementations
to be executed again for every string comparison :-(