Re: [BUGS] BUG #14555: EBUSY error on read() on NFS - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [BUGS] BUG #14555: EBUSY error on read() on NFS
Date
List pgsql-bugs
ashwath.rao@altair.com writes:
> Once we have this, we seem to have errors only on that one file, but EBUSY
> is _really_ puzzling. It's not one of the valid errno setting for a read()
> system call.

Indeed.  Some googling suggests that this might be a known issue
in the kernel: Red Hat fixed something with similar symptoms in their
RHEL6 series about a year ago.  You might want to check for SLES updates,
and pester SUSE if there's not a fix available.  It seems highly unlikely
that it's Postgres' fault in any meaningful sense, in any case.

(FWIW, a lot of Postgres hackers consider NFS to be too unreliable to
keep a database on.  NFS is great, don't get me wrong, but it's got a
very long track record of intermittent weirdness like this.  If you're
trying to get from three-nines to five-nines reliability, keeping your
data on NFS is a serious stumbling block to getting there.)