Re: We all are looped on Internet: request + transport = invariant - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Dmitry Turin
Subject Re: We all are looped on Internet: request + transport = invariant
Date
List pgsql-sql
Good day, Joe.

>> J> How do I see employees in just one department?
>> department[id="1"].employee >>;
>> department[name="Technical"].employee >>;
J> How is that any different or better than a standard SQL SELECT

by absence of gasket (php, its library; perl, its library; etc)

J> XML is *not* the only answer to viewing or even "transporting" data.

it's nothing more simply: offer your decision !!

J> others want to see a chart

it's nothing more simply: offer format for data, on which chart will be created !!

J> And there's nothing wrong with Perl, PHP, Python and the myriad
J> interface languages.

I said many times, what is wrong:
applied users can not join sql and perl, can not use libraries,
and can not adjust web-server.

J> I don't see how TML improves

It characterizes not analysed situation, but you.

J> Some people prefer a tabular representation

<tablename field1= field2= field3= >
<tablename field1= field2= field3= >
<tablename field1= field2= field3= >
<tablename field1= field2= field3= >
<tablename field1= field2= field3= >

---

>> J> How do I see a single employee?
>> employee[id="31"] >>;
>> employee[name="Tomson"] >>;
J> I want to see specific columns of the employee row

Mark other fields (columns) by sign "#" to prevent output of them.
NOW there is no construction like
employee#[need_field]
i.e. to forbid all field and to allow necessary columns ("need_field").
Probably i add that.

J> or see the name of the department that Tomson works

department.#employee[name="Tomson"] >>;

or

#employee[name="Tomson"].department >>;

J> or the name of Tomson's manager?

Let table "employee" has additional field "manager"
create table employee { id         num      primary key, name       string, salary     num, department num
referencesdepartment (id), manager    bool

};

Request is (look at
http://sql4.by.ru/site/sql40/en/author/determination_eng.htm,
paragraph "Buckle")

(employee[manager=true].#department.#employee[name="Tomson"],
employee[manager=true name="Tomson"]) >>;

or

(#employee[name="Tomson"].#department.employee[manager=true],
employee[manager=true name="Tomson"]) >>;

If you seggest other scheme of data, i will write query for it.

J> This "fictional" attribute of yours implies a change to SQL DDL.

You are worried about technical realization or ideological orthodoxy ?
Or maybe about anything else ?

J> if someone comes along and wants to do
J> SELECT name, SUM(salary) FROM employee GROUP BY name?

create view x as SELECT name, SUM(salary) FROM employee GROUP BY name;
x >>;

J> thousands of users may agree and converge on those choices.

1. Not users, but programmers.
2. Needs are produced also, as goods and capital goods.    Karl Marks  For example, look at yourself.

Dmitry Turin
http://html6.by.ru
http://sql4.by.ru
http://computer2.by.ru