Re: pgsql: Avoid marking buffer dirty when VACUUM has no work to do. - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: pgsql: Avoid marking buffer dirty when VACUUM has no work to do.
Date
List pgsql-committers
> Avoid marking buffer dirty when VACUUM has no work to do.
> When wal_level = 'hot_standby' we touched the last page of the
> relation during a VACUUM, even if nothing else had happened.
> That would alter the LSN of the last block and set the mtime
> of the relation file unnecessarily. Noted by Thom Brown.

This doesn't look right to me --- you have not accounted for the
possibility that btpo_cycleid or BTP_HAS_GARBAGE is changed.

Also, I'm confused about the business of not setting the LSN.  Thom
claimed that he was seeing the page not change at all (or at least
md5sum of the file didn't change) despite mtime changing.  If we'd
been plastering a new LSN on the page each time, then that should
certainly not have been possible.  So I now think maybe we've
mis-analyzed what was happening in his example.

I think this requires more careful analysis.

            regards, tom lane