Re: Slow queries on big table - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Slow queries on big table
Date
List pgsql-performance
Scott Marlowe <smarlowe@g2switchworks.com> writes:
> Secondly, it might be more efficient for the planner to choose the
> backup_location_rid index than the combination primary key index.

Oh, I'm an idiot; I didn't notice the way the index was set up.  Yeah,
that index pretty well sucks for a query on backup_id --- it has to scan
the entire index, since there's no constraint on the leading column.
So that's where the time is going.

This combination of indexes:

>     "backup_location_pkey" PRIMARY KEY, btree (record_id, backup_id)
>     "backup_location_rid" btree (record_id)

is really just silly.  You should have the pkey and then an index on
backup_id alone.  See the discussion of multiple indexes in the fine
manual:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/static/indexes-multicolumn.html
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/static/indexes-bitmap-scans.html

            regards, tom lane