Re: [GENERAL] What user to defaults execute as? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [GENERAL] What user to defaults execute as?
Date
Re: [GENERAL] What user to defaults execute as?  (Bruno Wolff III <bruno@wolff.to>)
List pgsql-hackers
> The problem is that the more complex you make things, the easier it is
> to make a mistake.  That's why I like our simpler model unless there is
> a glaring problem with it.

I think Bruno's got a good point.  The implementation would be kind of
painful, so I've been trying to think of a reason to object to it, but
so far I don't see one ;-(

The example of a serial column (DEFAULT nextval('foo_seq')) seems
compelling.  You do not really want to grant general-purpose UPDATE
rights on foo_seq to everyone you might allow to INSERT into your
table.

And I have not yet been able to think of a concrete case where the
existing behavior (execute as calling user) is better.