Re: Dumping database using 8.1 or 7.1 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Dumping database using 8.1 or 7.1
Date
List pgsql-general
"Jonathan Vallar" <bamvallar.db@gmail.com> writes:
> After dumping the database. I tried to load it on Postgres 8.1. I
> encountered errors on some database tables. Some lines on the file are empty
> (a blank record or a corrupt record?). Before the said lines, there was a
> "\M". What does "\M" stand for?

Carriage return --- you evidently have some Mac- or Windows-style
newlines in your data.  My recollection is that 7.1 had a different
convention for representing these in COPY data than the later versions
do.  If you want to preserve them exactly as-is you might try doing
the pg_dump from 7.1 with the dump-data-as-INSERTs option. If you'd
rather clean up the data then just manually remove the CRs from the dump
file ...

            regards, tom lane