Re: 8.4 open items list - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: 8.4 open items list
Date
Re: 8.4 open items list  (Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
> On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 11:42 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> Both of those things are related to 8.4 feature changes, so we should
>> either do them now or decide we won't do them.

> Well, "Should we have a LOCALE option in CREATE DATABASE?" has to do
> with making:

> CREATE DATABASE foo WITH LOCALE = bar
> equivalent to...
> CREATE DATABASE foo WITH COLLATE = bar, CTYPE = bar

> That might be nice to have, but since it's just syntactic sugar, I
> disagree that it's now or never.

The reason I wanted it considered now is that part of the discussion
was about whether to rename the existing options (add or remove LC_,
I forget which).  Once 8.4 is out it'll be too late to reconsider that.

> The second item, "Should we reject toast.fillfactor in reloptions?",
> comes with a patch.  I think I agree with ITAGAKI Takahiro that it
> would be better to have reloptions specify a set of RELOPT_KINDs to
> which they pertain rather than a single one.

+1.  And this is something it'd be better to get right now than later,
since it's about an API that's meant to be used by add-on modules.