Re: hstore improvements? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David E. Wheeler
Subject Re: hstore improvements?
Date
Re: hstore improvements?  (Andrew Gierth <andrew@tao11.riddles.org.uk>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Mar 13, 2009, at 11:06 AM, Andrew Gierth wrote:

> If there's any other features that people find notably missing from
> hstore, I could stick them in too; any requests?

Can you create slices? That is, create a new hstore as a subset of an
existing hstore?

> Also, hstore has an (undocumented) limit of 65535 bytes for keys and
> values, and it does not behave very cleanly when given longer values
> (it truncates them mod 2^16, rather than erroring). That gives rise to
> two obvious questions: (1) are those lengths reasonable? they strike
> me as being rather long for keys and rather short for values; and (2)
> should exceeding the lengths throw an error?

I agree. The keys can be much shorter without any threat of loss. Can
the value not essentially be TEXT, and thus theoretically unlimited in
size?

Best,

David