Re: How to avoid transaction ID wrap - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Mark Woodward
Subject Re: How to avoid transaction ID wrap
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On Wed, Jun 07, 2006 at 07:07:55PM -0400, Mark Woodward wrote:
>> I guess what I am saying is that PostgreSQL isn't "smooth," between
>> checkpoints and vacuum, it is near impossible to make a product that
>> performs consistently under high load.
>
> Have you tuned the bgwriter and all the vacuum_cost stuff? I've get to
> find a case where I couldn't smooth out the IO load so that it wasn't an
> issue.

In several project that I have been involved with, PostgreSQL had most of
the important features to be used, but in one project, checkpoints caused
us to time out under load. In this current project I am researching, I
know that vacuum may be an issue. The load is brutally constant.