Re: Idea for making COPY data Microsoft-proof - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Idea for making COPY data Microsoft-proof
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> No big deal, but this seems to be an encoding issue; and it seems like a
> good idea to formalize it somehow.

Well, currently there is a strict separation between COPY data (in the
file) and metadata (supplied as parameters to the COPY command).  I'm
not eager to revisit that decision.  What you seem to be suggesting is
shoving metadata into the data file, but I think that will create more
problems than it solves.  To take just one problem: how do I know that
the first line is metadata, and not data that happens to look exactly
like whatever my metadata layout is?