Re: first crash - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: first crash
Date
List pgsql-general
"Thomas T. Thai" <tom@minnesota.com> writes:
> I had my first production crash today.
> PostgreSQL v7.3
> NetBSD/Alpha 1.6

Why are you not running 7.3.2?

> Is there anything I can do to help track down this issue?

Provide stack traces from the core dumps.  If you're not getting core
dumps, you may need to set "ulimit -c unlimited" before launching the
postmaster.  Also, keep in mind that the postmaster itself never does
chdir(), so it would try to dump core in whatever directory you are in
when you launch it.  Make sure this directory is writable by postgres,
or you'll get no core...

Also, did you look to see if there is anything interesting in the
postmaster log?  It could be that this was not a core dump but a panic
exit, in which case the postmaster would have written a complaint to the
log before exiting.

            regards, tom lane