Re: owner as namespace? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: owner as namespace?
Date
List pgsql-general
> IIRC, the idea of a schema came from Oracle where the schema is the
> username. If you create a schema with the same name as the user what
> you describe above works. ie mydb.james.myview is in the james schema
> in the mydb database.

Actually that isn't an Oracle-ism, it's a reasonable interpretation of
the minimum requirements of the SQL standard: if you associate each user
with a schema named after and owned by that user, you get the minimum
spec behavior.  It sounds like MSSQL is doing about the same thing.

Our default search_path setting is set up to support this usage, btw.
See "Usage Patterns" in the schema documentation.
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/static/ddl-schemas.html

            regards, tom lane