Re: BUG #7842: pg_dump scripts view to table - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: BUG #7842: pg_dump scripts view to table
Date
List pgsql-bugs
lopuszanski@oleofarm.com writes:
> 1. after using pg_dump to dump WHOLE database to file, 1 of views 'turned'
> into a table.

> so there is no 'create or replace VIEW XXXX .......' with definition, but
> instead:
> its scripted as 'create TABLE XXXX......' and definition.(in file that
> pg_dump created)

There's probably a CREATE RULE command further down that turns it into a
view again.

> 2. but after using pg_dump to dump only this 1 problematic 'view'  (with -t
> option) it stores it correcly as 'create or replace VIEW XXXX .......'

That's not terribly surprising.  The separate table and rule entries
would only be used when it's necessary to work around a circular
dependency with some other object.

> it looks like pg_dump has problem with dependancies of this view.....

I see no reason to think there's a bug here.  If you still think it's
a bug, you need to provide enough information for someone else to
reproduce the case.
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.1/static/bug-reporting.html

            regards, tom lane