Re: WAL archiving idle database - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Erik Jones
Subject Re: WAL archiving idle database
Date
List pgsql-general
On Oct 26, 2007, at 4:08 PM, Brian Wipf wrote:

> I have a test PG 8.2.5 installation that has been left idle with no
> connections to it whatsoever for the last 24 hours plus. WALs are
> being archived exactly 5 minutes apart, even though archive_timeout
> is set to 60. Is this the expected behavior for a database with no
> changes?
>
> Brian

In the absence of activity, WAL are archived every checkpoint_timeout
seconds.  archive_timeout is how long postgres will wait for the
archive_command to return before declaring it failed.

Erik Jones

Software Developer | Emma®
erik@myemma.com
800.595.4401 or 615.292.5888