Re: alter column type from boolean to char with default - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: alter column type from boolean to char with default
Date
List pgsql-sql
Rod Taylor <pg@rbt.ca> writes:
>> Hmm ... the way I would have expected to work is
>>
>> alter table posts
>> alter column deleted drop default,
>> alter column deleted type char(1)
>> using (case when deleted then 't' else 'f' end),
>> alter column deleted set default 'f';

> Perhaps it is easiest to allow the user to specify the new default after
> USING?

He already did --- I don't want to add some random new syntax for this.

Maybe we could hack things so that if both an ALTER TYPE and a SET
DEFAULT operation are present, we implicitly add a DROP DEFAULT at the
start.  But leave the timing of any explicitly specified DROP DEFAULT
as-is.
        regards, tom lane