Re: Extremely slow intarray index creation and inserts. - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Extremely slow intarray index creation and inserts.
Date
List pgsql-performance
Ron Mayer <rm_pg@cheapcomplexdevices.com> writes:
> vm=# create index "gist70000" on tmp_intarray_test using GIST (my_int_array gist__int_ops);
> CREATE INDEX
> Time: 2069836.856 ms

> Is that expected, or does it sound like a bug to take over
> half an hour to index 70000 rows of mostly 5 and 6-element
> integer arrays?

I poked at this example with oprofile.  It's entirely CPU-bound AFAICT,
and the CPU utilization is approximately

    55%    g_int_compress
    35%    memmove/memcpy (difficult to distinguish these)
     1%    pg_qsort
    <1%    anything else

Probably need to look at reducing the number of calls to g_int_compress
... it must be getting called a whole lot more than once per new index
entry, and I wonder why that should need to be.

            regards, tom lane