Re: [GENERAL] Count(*) throws error - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Count(*) throws error
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> "Tom Lane" <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:
>> Actually, rather than get into that sort of AI-complete project,

> Is it really AI-complete? ISTM the *only* place where a parameter is allowed
> is where the parser inserts a ColumnRef node?

The first problem is that we have to make the decision far upstream of that.

The second is that whether we *can* insert a parameter symbol is not the
same as whether we *should*.  Even if we made that work, we'd only be
fixing the cases that currently result in trivial-for-users-to-recognize
syntactic errors.  The deeper semantic errors arising from substituting
a parameter where the user meant to refer to a similarly-named column
can only be dealt with through user education.