Re: BUG #7885: postmaster panic on startup does not release shared memory - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: BUG #7885: postmaster panic on startup does not release shared memory
Date
List pgsql-bugs
> When we panic, we PANIC, meaning we don't jump around looking for
> cleanup stuff, which might make things worse.

I think also there was some thought that we should intentionally leave
the shmem segment around for debugging purposes.

In any case, I believe the behavior complained of here is specific to
--single mode, which is surely not a production scenario, thus even
less reason to be concerned about it.  (If a postmaster child panics,
the postmaster will still shut down normally and thus release the
shmem segment.)

            regards, tom lane