Re: database tuning - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: database tuning
Date
List pgsql-general
"Johnson, Shaunn" <SJohnson6@bcbsm.com> writes:
> A few weeks ago, I installed and migrated data
> from version 7.1.3 to version 7.2.1.  After that,
> it seems that when I load data, have users do
> a select / insert / or otherwise access the
> database, it takes a very long time to complete.

Do you see a lot of disk activity when this happens?  If the bottleneck
is not CPU it seems like it must be I/O.

I'm wondering if you forgot to do a "vacuum analyze" in the new
installation, and so the planner is choosing bad query plans.

            regards, tom lane