Re: Patch for SQL-standard negative valued year-month literals - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Patch for SQL-standard negative valued year-month literals
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Ron Mayer <rm_pg@cheapcomplexdevices.com> writes:
> Short summary:
>   I think this patch fixes a bug with sql-spec negative interval literals.

Hmm.  I'm a bit concerned about possible side-effects on other cases:
what had been seen as two separate tokens will now become one token
for *all* datetime types, not just interval.  However, I can't
immediately think of any likely input formats where this would be a
problem.

Something else I noticed while poking at it is this inconsistency:

regression=# select interval '1';interval
----------00:00:01
(1 row)

regression=# select interval '-1';interval
------------01:00:00
(1 row)

regression=# select interval '+1';interval
----------01:00:00
(1 row)

regression=# select interval '1' day;interval
----------1 day

----------00:00:00
(1 row)

regression=# select interval '-1' day;interval
----------00:00:00
(1 row)

regression=# select interval '1' hour to minute;interval
----------00:01:00
(1 row)

regression=# select interval '-1' hour to minute;interval
------------01:00:00
(1 row)

regression=# select interval '+1' hour to minute;interval
----------01:00:00
(1 row)

As soon as you throw in a sign, it gets wacky :-(.

The reason for this bizarreness is this chunk of code at the end of
DecodeInterval's DTK_TZ case:
               else if (type == IGNORE_DTF)               {                   if (*cp == '.')                   {
               /*                        * Got a decimal point? Then assume some sort of                        *
secondsspecification                        */                       type = DTK_SECOND;                   }
     else if (*cp == '\0')                   {                       /*                        * Only a signed integer?
Thenmust assume a                        * timezone-like usage                        */                       type =
DTK_HOUR;                  }               }

which means that a signed integer gets forced to be "hours" if there
isn't an explicit unit spec in the literal, while a signed float gets
forced to be "seconds".  I can't see any reason why that's a good idea,
and propose that while we're making incompatible changes in corner cases,
we should just drop the code quoted above.