Re: RFD: ALTER COLUMN .. SET STORAGE COMPRESSED; - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: RFD: ALTER COLUMN .. SET STORAGE COMPRESSED;
Date
List pgsql-hackers
"Dawid Kuroczko" <qnex42@gmail.com> writes:
> As we already have four types of ALTER COLUMN .. SET STORAGE
> { PLAIN | EXTERNAL | EXTENDED | MAIN } I would like to add
> "COMPRESSED" which would force column compression (if column is
> smaller than some minimun, I guess somwehwere between 16 and 32 bytes).

Please see previous discussions about per-column toasting parameters,
for instance
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2007-08/msg00082.php
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2007-08/msg01129.php

I think the general consensus was that we want more flexible access to
the compression knobs than just another STORAGE setting.