Re: easy way to acquire height / width from images (PNG, JPEG) storedas bytea? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Achilleas Mantzios
Subject Re: easy way to acquire height / width from images (PNG, JPEG) storedas bytea?
Date
List pgsql-general
On 17/4/20 5:47 μ.μ., Steve Atkins wrote:

> If running an extension crashed your server you should look at how /
> why, especially if it corrupted your filesystem.
> That shouldn't happen on a correctly configured system, so the
> underlying issue might cause you other problems. Crashing postgresql,
> sure, but not anything that impacts the rest of the server.

Hello, This machine runs several extensions with no issues (even pljava
for Christ's sake, our heavy modified version of DBMirror, and lots of
our own C functions included among others), two bhyve VMs running
ubuntu, and one jail. + it functions as my workstation as well (wildfly,
eclipse, etc). And it can run for years, without reboot.

Apparently lousy memory management (consumed all 32GB of RAM + 8GB swap)
by pg_image didn't crash postgresql but brought the system to its knees.
Plus this extension was lastly touched in 2013, go figure.