Re[2]: Search (select) options // Max SQL length? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Barry Hill
Subject Re[2]: Search (select) options // Max SQL length?
Date
List pgsql-general
Hello,

Wednesday, August 16, 2000, 11:44:44 AM, you wrote:

Hd> Perhaps you can use the UNION statement like so... [...]
Hd> Although, I have never tried stacking them before so I don't know if the
Hd> above will work (with more than one UNION).

UNION works (fortunately) with 100 SELECTs at least!

Although when I forgot to close the DB connection (PHP) I got an ugly
"out of file descriptors" error on the server (and a DOS for about 5
mins until I could ssh in) as each table (with indexes) required 8
file descriptors and my box only had 4096 free.

Does anyone know how long a PostGRES SQL statement can be? In the near
future, my above-mentioned query will grow to a few hundred SELECTS
(Phorum) and I'm wondering how it will cope (but too lazy to
experiment) ???

Best regards,

 Barry                            mailto:barry@penrallt.clara.co.uk