Re: support for NEXT VALUE FOR expression - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: support for NEXT VALUE FOR expression
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Here is a patch for implementing the NEXT VALUE FOR expression.  This is
> the SQL-standard conforming version of our nextval() function, and it's
> also used by Oracle, MS SQL, DB2.  Example:

We discussed this before and concluded that NEXT VALUE FOR is in fact
*not* an exact semantic equivalent of nextval():

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/14790.1083955136%40sss.pgh.pa.us

I remain of the opinion that using spec-compliant syntax for
non-spec-compliant behavior isn't a great advance.