Re: Epoch to timestamp conversion function patch - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Epoch to timestamp conversion function patch
Date
List pgsql-patches
Michael Glaesemann <grzm@myrealbox.com> writes:
> Another idea would be to overload TO_TIMESTAMP to take a single double
> precision float parameter rather than two text parameters.

Offhand I'd favor this one.

I think borrowing the function name from MySQL would be asking for
trouble: there's nothing worse than a function that looks compatible
with someone else's but isn't quite.  I don't even understand what
FROM_UNIXTIME(integer, format) is supposed to do --- there are not
multiple formats of Unix timestamps --- so that leads me to be a little
skeptical that their idea of FROM_UNIXTIME(integer) works quite like
ours would, either.  (Plus the integer vs float distinction is not
trivial.)

            regards, tom lane