Re: [HACKERS] selecting large result sets in psql using cursors - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [HACKERS] selecting large result sets in psql using cursors
Date
List pgsql-patches
> Chris Mair wrote:
>> Since buffer commands all have a single char I wanted a single char one
>> too. The "c" for "cursor" was taken already, so i choose the "u" (second
>> char in "cursor"). If somebody has a better suggestion, let us know ;)

> I think a new backslash variable isn't the way to go.  I would use a
> \pset variable to control what is happening.

That seems like it would be very awkward to use: you'd have to type
quite a bit to go from one mode to the other.

Personally I think that insisting on a one-letter command name is not
such a good idea if you can't pick a reasonably memorable name.
I'd suggest "\gc" (\g with a Cursor) or "\gb" (\g for a Big query)
or some such.

            regards, tom lane