BUG #17806: PostgreSQL 13.10 returns "CREATE DATABASE cannot be executed within a pipeline" - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From PG Bug reporting form
Subject BUG #17806: PostgreSQL 13.10 returns "CREATE DATABASE cannot be executed within a pipeline"
Date
List pgsql-bugs

Bug reference:      17806
Logged by:          Wesley Smith
Email address:      wesley.smith@zapproved.com
PostgreSQL version: 13.10
Operating system:   Linux

I am starting up a fresh instance of Postgres inside of Docker using the
"postgres:13.10" tag.  I'm then connecting to the database server using the
Ppgsql library for .NET (version 6.0.8) and creating a new database like
this:

var str = "
  CREATE ROLE foo WITH PASSWORD 'foo' LOGIN NOINHERIT;
  GRANT foo TO postgres;
  CREATE DATABASE my_db OWNER foo;
  -- More statements here
";
conn = new NpgsqlConnection(connString);
var cmd = new NpgsqlCommand(sql, conn);
await cmd.ExecuteNonQueryAsync();

In all versions of PostgreSQL 13 before 10 (13.1 - 13.9), this works fine.
There is no error and the database is created as expected.
However, with version 13.10, I get this error:

Severity: ERROR
  InvariantSeverity: ERROR
  SqlState: 25001
  MessageText: CREATE DATABASE cannot be executed within a pipeline
  File: xact.c
  Line: 3412
  Routine: PreventInTransactionBlock

As far as I know, I'm not executing these statements in a pipeline or a
transaction.

I don't see anything in the 13.10 release notes that mentions anything about
this.  Please let me know whether 13.10 has a bug, or if it is correctly
enforcing something that should have always been enforced.