Re: First draft of new FE/BE protocol spec posted for comments - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: First draft of new FE/BE protocol spec posted for comments
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Grant Finnemore <grantf@guruhut.co.za> writes:
> As it currently stands, we have functions that are capable of returning
> multi-column rows. Would the result of a FunctionCall message be to return
> a FunctionCallResult and optional RowDescription, RowData messages?

Frankly, I'd remove the whole fastpath function thing if I had my
druthers, but I don't want to reimplement libpq's large-object routines.
I'm just planning to leave it as supporting a scalar return value.

I should mark it deprecated in the docs, probably.  You can get the same
results more cleanly by doing a SELECT --- and if the overhead is what's
bothering you, there's PREPARE.