Re: Index names not consistent - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Index names not consistent
Date
List pgsql-general
runner <runner@winning.com> writes:
>  Running postgres 9.0.1 on Solaris 10 (Sparc)

> I am testing a development database before putting it in production.  The application install created the database
andthe indexes.  When I run psql and list the indexes \di I can count the number of indexes and see the names of the
indexes. If I run

>      pg_dump -s databasename | grep INDEX

> I can also count the number of indexes and see the names of the indexes.  Both the number of indexes and the names of
theindexes differ when using these two methods to display index information.  Is this normal?

It's really difficult to say with so little detail, but there's
certainly ways that that could happen.  pg_dump might create some
indexes with ALTER TABLE ADD CONSTRAINT commands, for example,
rather than syntax using the word INDEX.

            regards, tom lane