Re: Managing multiple branches in git - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Managing multiple branches in git
Date
Re: Managing multiple branches in git  (Mark Mielke <mark@mark.mielke.cc>)
List pgsql-hackers
Mark Mielke <mark@mark.mielke.cc> writes:
> Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>> That's not the problem.  The problem is that it is kept in the same
>> directory as the checked out copy.  It would be a lot more usable if it
>> was possible to store it elsewhere.

> I'm not following. CVS and SVN both kept such directories "in the
> checked out copy." Recall the CSV/*,v files?

I can't speak to SVN, but that is *not* how CVS does it.  There's a
small CVS/ directory, but the repository (with all the ,v files)
is somewhere else.  In particular I can have N different checked-out
working copies without duplicating the repository.

> I just don't understand why you care. If the CVS directories didn't bug
> you before, why does the single .git directory bug you now?

(1) size (ok, not a showstopper)
(2) potential for error

Blowing away your working directory shouldn't result in loss of your
entire project history.