Re: BUG #11325: Documentation Bug / RFE - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: BUG #11325: Documentation Bug / RFE
Date
List pgsql-bugs
thomas@landauer.at writes:
> Two suggestions for "PostgreSQL 9.3.5 Documentation" (which is excellent in
> general, by the way :-)

> 1) "Finally, NATURAL is a shorthand form of USING: it forms a USING list
> consisting of all column
> names that appear in both input tables."
> Please clarify: All column names that appear in both input tables
> (regardless of the SELECT clause), or all column names /listed in the SELECT
> clause/ that appear in both input tables?

"All column names that appear in both input tables" seems perfectly
clear to me.  Where would you get the idea that it had something to
do with the SELECT list?

> 2) "with the exception that if ON is used there will be two columns a, b,
> and c in the result"
> Hard to understand. Suggestion:
> "if ON is used, each column a, b, and c will appear twice in the result."

Yeah, that's fair, though perhaps it would be better as "each of the
columns a, b, and c will appear twice in the result".

            regards, tom lane