Re: autovacuum worker running amok - and me too ;) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: autovacuum worker running amok - and me too ;)
Date
Re: autovacuum worker running amok - and me too ;)
Re: autovacuum worker running amok - and me too ;)
List pgsql-general
wambacher <wnordmann@gmx.de> writes:
> My system has 24GB of real memory but after some hours one autovacuum worker
> is using 80-90% of  memory, the OOM-Killer (out of memory killer) kills the
> process with kill -9 and the postgresql-server is restarting because of that
> problem.

> i changed the base configuration to use very small buffers, restartetd the
> server twice but the problem still exists.

> i think, it's allways the same table and that table is huge: 111GB data and
> 3 Indices with 4GB, 128 GB and 12 GB. It's the table planet_osm_ways from
> openstreetmap. maybe that helps.

Maybe you could reduce the statistics targets for that table.

I think we've heard that the analyze functions for PostGIS data types are
memory hogs, too --- maybe it's worth inquiring about that on the postgis
mailing lists.

            regards, tom lane