autovacuum worker running amok - and me too ;) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From wambacher
Subject autovacuum worker running amok - and me too ;)
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi,

running postgresql on ubuntu for many years, but now i'm in big trouble.

My system has 24GB of real memory but after some hours one autovacuum worker
is using 80-90% of  memory, the OOM-Killer (out of memory killer) kills the
process with kill -9 and the postgresql-server is restarting because of that
problem.

i changed the base configuration to use very small buffers, restartetd the
server twice but the problem still exists.

i think, it's allways the same table and that table is huge: 111GB data and
3 Indices with 4GB, 128 GB and 12 GB. It's the table planet_osm_ways from
openstreetmap. maybe that helps.

without running server 8GB are user by other programs and 16GB are free.

no idea whats going on.

regards
walter