Re: It's past time to redo the smgr API - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: It's past time to redo the smgr API
Date
List pgsql-hackers
"Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@postgresql.org> writes:
> Why?  Setting it to the checkpoint interval itself should be sufficient,
> no?  All you want to do is avoid closing any files that were used during
> that last checkpoint interval, since there is a good chance you'd have to
> once more reopen them in the checkpoint interval ...

If we did that then (on Windows) every DROP TABLE would take one extra
checkpoint interval to take effect in terms of freeing disk space.
Not sure if this is a good tradeoff for avoiding some file opens.

In any case, I think we should leave it to be debated after we see what
the Windows file-closing solution turns out to be.  It might become a
non-issue.