Re: sidewinder has one failure - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: sidewinder has one failure
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> writes:
> On Fri, Jan 3, 2020 at 6:34 PM Mikael Kjellström
> <mikael.kjellstrom@mksoft.nu> wrote:
>> Why is this machine different from everybody else when it comes to this
>> limit?

> The problem we are seeing on this machine is that I think we have
> seven files opened before we reach function set_max_safe_fds during
> startup.  Now, it is not clear to me why it is opening extra file(s)
> during start-up as compare to other machines.

Maybe it uses one of the semaphore implementations that consume a
file descriptor per semaphore?

I think that d20703805 was insanely optimistic to think that a
tiny value of max_files_per_process would work the same everywhere.
I'd actually recommend just dropping that test, as I do not think
it's possible to make it portable and reliable.  Even if it could
be fixed, I doubt it would ever find any actual bug to justify
the sweat it would take to maintain it.