Re: Patch: plan invalidation vs stored procedures - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Patch: plan invalidation vs stored procedures
Date
List pgsql-hackers
David Fetter <david@fetter.org> writes:
> On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 07:45:16PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> FWIW, given that there will probably always be corner cases. I can
>> see the attraction in Simon's suggestion of providing a way to
>> manually issue a system-wide forced plan flush.

> Would that require a system-wide plan cache to implement?

No, just a function that can issue a suitable sinval message.

plancache.c would already respond in the desired way to a relcache inval
message with OID = 0, though likely it'll be cleaner to invent an sinval
message type specifically for the purpose.

One thing to think about is whether the flush should be truly
system-wide or just database-wide.  I can see a lot more uses for the
latter than the former --- I don't think there's a reason for cached
plans to depend on any contents of the shared catalogs.