Re: WIP patch: Improve relation size functions such as pg_relation_size() to avoid producing an error when called against a no longer visible relation - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: WIP patch: Improve relation size functions such as pg_relation_size() to avoid producing an error when called against a no longer visible relation
Date
In response to Re: WIP patch: Improve relation size functions such as pg_relation_size() to avoid producing an error when called against a no longer visible relation  (Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com>)
Responses Re: WIP patch: Improve relation size functions such as pg_relation_size() to avoid producing an error when called against a no longer visible relation  (Phil Sorber <phil@omniti.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
> I'm wondering if we oughta just return NULL and be done with it.

+1.  There are multiple precedents for that sort of response, which we
introduced exactly so that "SELECT some_function(oid) FROM some_catalog"
wouldn't fail just because one of the rows had gotten deleted by the
time the scan got to it.  I don't think it's necessary for the
relation-size functions to be any smarter.  Indeed, I'd assumed that's
all that Phil's patch did, since I'd not looked closer till just now.