Re: multiset patch review - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: multiset patch review
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> So, the plan is to add this now with non-standard semantics and then
> change the semantics later if and when we implement what the standard
> requires?  That's not something we usually do, and I don't see why
> it's a better idea in this case than it is in general.  It's OK to
> have non-standard behavior with non-standard syntax, but I think
> non-standard behavior with standard syntax is something we want to try
> hard to avoid.

> I'm in favor of rejecting this patch in its entirety.  The
> functionality looks useful, but once you remove the syntax support, it
> could just as easily be distributed as a contrib module rather than in
> core.

+1 ... if we're going to provide nonstandard behavior, it should be with
a different syntax.  Also, with a contrib module we could keep on
providing the nonstandard behavior for people who still need it, even
after implementing the standard properly.