Re: BUG #14932: SELECT DISTINCT val FROM table gets stuck in an infinite loop - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: BUG #14932: SELECT DISTINCT val FROM table gets stuck in an infinite loop
Date
Re: BUG #14932: SELECT DISTINCT val FROM table gets stuck in aninfinite loop  ("Todd A. Cook" <tcook@blackducksoftware.com>)
Re: BUG #14932: SELECT DISTINCT val FROM table gets stuck in aninfinite loop  ("Todd A. Cook" <tcook@blackducksoftware.com>)
List pgsql-bugs
Thomas Munro <thomas.munro@enterprisedb.com> writes:
> When SH_INSERT tries to insert that final extra value, insertdist
> keeps exceeding SH_GROW_MAX_DIB (25) no matter how many times we
> double the size (at least until my computer gives up, somewhere around
> 11 doublings and 75GB of virtual memory).  If you set SH_GROW_MAX_DIB
> to 26 then it succeeds, but I guess some other attack could be crafted
> for that.  What is the theory behind this parameter?

You beat me to it --- after looking at simplehash.h I'd guessed that
either the SH_GROW_MAX_DIB or SH_GROW_MAX_MOVE code path was causing
an infinite loop, but I'd not gotten to determining which one yet.

I'd ask what's the theory behind SH_GROW_MAX_MOVE, as well.  Neither
of them are obviously loop-proof.

Note that the sample data has a lot of collisions:

regression=# select hashint8(val), count(*) from reproducer group by 1 order by 2 desc; hashint8   | count
-------------+-------  441526644 |  2337-1117776826 |  1221-1202007016 |   935-2068831050 |   620 1156644653 |   538
553783815|   510  259780770 |   444  371047036 |   394  915722575 |   359... etc etc ...

It's evidently more complicated than just that the code fails with
more than SH_GROW_MAX_DIB duplicate hashcodes, but I suspect not
by a lot.  There needs to be a safety valve that prevents letting
the hash fill factor approach zero, which is what's happening in
this test case.

(I wonder whether these loops oughtn't contain CHECK_FOR_INTERRUPTS,
btw.)
        regards, tom lane