Re: WIP: Rework access method interface - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: WIP: Rework access method interface
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> I think that's likely for the best anyway; there are too many catalogs
>> that think a pg_am OID identifies an index AM.  Better to create other
>> catalogs for other types of AMs.

> That means we won't be able to reuse pg_class.relam as a pointer to the
> AM-of-the-other-kind either.

Hm.  So one way or the other we're going to end up violating relational
theory somewhere.  OK, I yield: let's say that pg_am has amname, amkind,
amhandler, and nothing else.  Then we will need SQL functions to expose
whatever information we think needs to be available to SQL code.