Re: pgsql: Adjust configure to insist on Perl version >= 5.8.3. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: pgsql: Adjust configure to insist on Perl version >= 5.8.3.
Date
Re: pgsql: Adjust configure to insist on Perl version >= 5.8.3.  (Noah Misch <noah@leadboat.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
[ cc'ing Craig and Noah, as author/committer of the existing text ]

Daniel Gustafsson <daniel@yesql.se> writes:
> On 7 Oct 2021, at 21:02, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> BTW, looking at that a second time, I wonder if that advice is
>> really of any use.

> Yeah, I would have to agree.  Reading that again I think what it perhaps should
> be saying is that 5.8.3 is the Perl API level that the testcode must conform
> to, but they should run with basically whichever recent Perl you have handy as
> long as the required modules are installed.  Not that we expect developers to
> run 5.8.3 when executing TAP tests.

Yeah.  I propose that what might be more useful than the existing last
section of src/test/perl/README is something along the lines of:

  Avoid using any bleeding-edge Perl features.  We have buildfarm
  animals running Perl versions as old as 5.8.3, so your tests will
  be expected to pass on that.

  Also, do not use any non-core Perl modules except IPC::Run.
  Or, if you must do so for a particular test, arrange to skip
  the test when the needed module isn't present.